Find out if your current oral care routine is really as good as you think.
Wondering whether or not you’re doing everything you need to do to keep your smile healthy? Keeping teeth and gums healthy doesn’t have to be challenging, but decay and gum disease are still two of the most common dental issues your Martinsville, VA, dentists, Dr. Mark Crabtree, Dr. Charles Jenkins, and Dr. David Stafford, diagnose. If you want to up your oral hygiene game or you simply want to find out whether you are taking the necessary dental precautions, here are some tips to follow for maintaining good dental hygiene:
- Make sure you are brushing your teeth at least twice a day, once in the morning and again at night before bedtime, with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste
- Floss at least once a day, preferably at night once you are done eating and drinking
- Use an oral rinse between meals to flush away food particles and to keep breath fresh
- Replace your toothbrush head, or toothbrush, depending on the kind you use, every 3-4 months or sooner if the bristles look worn and frayed.
- You should also replace your toothbrush head immediately after recovering from an illness
- Eating a healthy diet and avoiding sugar and starches, which can increase plaque buildup
- Quit smoking and limit alcohol consumption
- Visit your Martinsville, VA, dentists twice a year for routine and preventive dental checkups
Why Good Oral Hygiene is So Important
Good oral hygiene doesn’t just mean healthy teeth and gums, it also gives our dental team an idea of your overall health. After all, everything in our bodies is interconnected and certain diseases and disorders that affect the mouth can also increase the risk for health complications like endocarditis and heart disease.
Plus, many health problems present with oral manifestations and symptoms, so by turning to your dentist twice a year for checkups we can not only catch oral diseases but also general and potentially serious health problems, as well.
Remember that decay and gum disease are preventable with proper dental hygiene. If you need to schedule your six-month dental cleaning with our Martinsville, VA, dentists, call Dr. Crabtree, Dr. Jenkins, and Dr. Stafford of Martinsville Smiles at (276) 632-9266.